Here are a few things you can do to ensure both you and your fellow yogi’s have a great experience every class.
- Remove your shoes at the top of the stairs at our entrance before proceeding into the either of the yoga studios.
- Our studio spaces are SILENT spaces – sit or lie down and enjoy the quiet before class. We love that Chinook is also a social place – so feel free to connect with other yogis in conversation in our Coho lounge.
- Turn off all cell phones and all other electronic devices before entering the yoga studio. And please refrain from talking on cell phones in hallways before or after classes.
- While in the hallways or change rooms, please talk softly and quietly in order to respect the classes already in session.
- As many people may have sensitivities or allergies to fragrances, please refrain from applying perfume, cologne, or other heavily scented products while at Chinook Yoga.
- It is recommended not to eat for 1-2 hours before class, and to drink plenty of water throughout the day. It is very important to arrive hydrated especially when practicing hot yoga.
- You should plan to arrive at least 15 minutes early for class to get settled and secure a spot, especially for popular classes! If it is your first time at Chinook Yoga, please ensure that you arrive 20 minutes early to allow enough time to complete the New Student Form, get changed, and settled in before class begins. Please note: The beginning of a class is essential for a first-time student because they cannot miss the introduction, safety instructions and warm-ups. Arrive early & enjoy!
- Always strive to arrive at least five minutes early. If you must enter a class late, go in as quickly and as quietly as possible. No student will be permitted into a class later than 5 minutes after the start of class.
- Keep in mind that you generally do not need more than one foot of space on either side of your mat. As others come in welcome them by graciously making room for them.
- Please honour the silence in the yoga studio, and respect this policy as others await class to begin and rest afterwards. If talking at all, please speak softly.
- When practicing hot yoga, make sure to bring a mat and a towel to place over top to prevent slipping and for your safety.
- Feel free to use any of the yoga props provided in the studios (bolsters, blocks, straps or blankets) please return them neatly to the space provided at the end of each class.
- If you know you will have to leave early, let the teacher know beforehand. Sit near the door and try to leave at a good time in the class (i.e. just before meditation starts, not in the middle of it – likewise with savasana).
- If you have a medical condition that may affect your ability to safely participate please inform your instructor at the beginning of the class.
- If you are not feeling well and must leave, try to signal the teacher and leave the room as quietly as possible. If it becomes worse, or you feel faint please let the teacher know immediately so that we may assist you.
- Savasana (final relaxation) is an important part of the practice, please do your best to stay until this has been completed.
- Always feel free to ask your yoga teacher for assistance during your class. If you have longer questions that relate to your individual practice, approach your teacher after class.
- Teachers are always willing to suggest resources and referrals. Feel free to ask about these or about the music used during the class, at the end of class.
- It is fine to acknowledge your teacher at class end, though not necessary. The best way to acknowledge your teacher is by practicing well and consistently, and by bringing the spirit of yoga into your daily life and work.
- If you notice anything amiss at Chinook Yoga, consider taking care of it as a practice of karma yoga. If it requires additional attention, please inform the teacher or someone at the reception area.
- In consideration of other students waiting, please limit your shower to a quick rinse (two minutes or less).
- Place any plastic bottles in the blue recycling bins located at the reception or in the change rooms.
- Used rental towels are to be put in the laundry basket located outside the change rooms.
- Used rental mats are to be wiped down and placed in the basket at the reception.
And above all, have a great time!